DS3 encapsulated in OC3c?

  • From: Simon Lockhart
  • Date: Thu Sep 20 12:24:18 2001

All,

I'm about to bring up a transatlantic 622M circuit, and am stuck with an
annoying SDH/SONET problem.

We use the Cisco 15454 SONET mux on our network, and although we'd ordered
a SONET OC12 circuit, we've since been told that it'll actually be an SDH
STM-4 circuit. This shouldn't be a problem, as the carrier can convert
from SDH to SONET at their handoff, or we can convert from SDH to SONET on
the way into the 15454. However, unfortunately both solutions leave us in
the situation where the smallest SONET unit we can use is an STS-3c - and
we need at least one DS3 circuit running over this.

So, I'm stuck trying to carry a DS3 in an STS-3c carrier (or, another
similar solution).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a "cheap" box that will do this -
without getting into buying a full SDH mux?

Thanks,

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516