Re: looping traceroutes

  • From: Nick Feamster
  • Date: Wed Sep 19 17:49:11 2001

> Do you think that it can be a real persistent routing loop (data packets
> would actually shuttle between the two interfaces) as against some
> wierdness because of traceroute?

Seems like a persistent routing loop.  One possibility I've
heard about is the persistent routing loops that can occur if an internal
router is not situated topologically close to its BGP route reflector:

http://www.globecom.net/ietf/draft/draft-dube-route-reflection-harmful-00.html

Does anyone have any idea of if/how often these types of persistent loops
occur in practice?  I guess there would be no way to really tell if this
was the cause without having some knowledge about the internal topology...

Nick