Embargos and proscriptions

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Tue Sep 18 15:12:48 2001

The following link details various embargos in effect.

http://pmdtc.org/country.htm

Almost all of these entail defense and munitions. ITAR has long considered
cryptographic material a munition, under ITAR category XVII (see:
http://pmdtc.org/usml.htm). Personal opinion: we may see this definition
expanded, as it has in the past. The problem is, expansion is easy,
contraction is somewhat more difficult.

[disclaimer]
MHSC has been involved in ITAR issues since 1997. Our initial business plan
was to provide secured services and individual privacy through encryption
techniques and services, for both individuals and organizations. We couldn't
get that past ITAR initially and when we could, the market wasn't there yet
(couldn't get any traction. Most folks frankly, don't give a rat's tush
about security, especially if they have to do anything extra for it). MHSC
goes out of its way to avoid even the appearance of legal violations and to
limit its risk of legal liability. MHSC is no longer in this business (see:
http://www.mhsc.net/services.htm).

--
IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer. Before taking legal action based on anything I
say or write, you are strongly encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney.

--
R O E L A N D  M J  M E Y E R
Managing Director