Re: Worm probes

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Tue Sep 18 13:49:21 2001

At 12:51 PM 9/18/01, Joseph McDonald wrote:

spc> Has anyone else been seeing a dramatic increase in /scripts/.. NT worm
spc> probes this morning? We're seeing about 8000/second, starting around 9:15

Yes. We are seeing it here bigtime. Does anyone have any apache hacks
to lessen the impact? One idea: Once a probe is sent, the prober's
IP# is stored in a hash (perhaps in shared memory or a mmap'd file
that all children can share) and new connections from that IP are no
longer accepted.
Or better: script which causes a filter rule to be added to ipchains list, blocking all ports.
Daniel Senie [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc. http://www.amaranth.com