Re: Just Carnivore (was: Yahoogroups and Carnivore)

  • From: Larry Diffey
  • Date: Mon Sep 17 21:00:18 2001

I concede my first inaccuracy.

Your second point however is inaccurate.  When you use SafeWeb for example,
it's encrypted right from the browser. I've sniffed this traffic on my own
machine.  There is nothing but gibberish.  In order for anyone to see what
you're doing a keystroke logger would have to be installed on your computer.
That would of course defeat PGP as well.

Now it is possible that the FBI has a backdoor into SafeWeb; that's a
problem but you can always encrypt your messages beforehand.

Encryption is so wide-spread now that it's all but impossible to stop.  If
we educated people on the uses of encryption, law enforcement would be too
overwhelmed to deal with it.  Again, it would have no teeth.  Added to that,
if we (the American people) pressured our politicians enough because of our
loss of civil liberties, the laws would be reversed.

I know the FBI wants an escrow key for all encryption keys but that's just
not going to happen.  There are too many encryption tools out there.

Besides, encryption isn't the only way to hide information.  The real
purpose for putting restrictions on crypto is just to spy on normal law
abiding citizens.

Laws are for those that obey the law.  Locks only keep out honest people.
I'm sure you all can come up with more analogies.

Regards,

Larry Diffey