RE: What Worked - What Didn't

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Sep 17 14:36:20 2001

At 11:18 AM 9/17/2001 -0700, Randy Bush wrote:

>no one went after the comms infrastructure. when they do, i suspect that
>we will find the internet is extremely vulnerable. how many folk even
>have md5 auth turned on their bgp peering sessions? what nievete!

If someone can splice into my point-to-point OC system, fake being the router on the other end, and keep my peer from calling me and asking what happened, well, then I have MUCH bigger things to worry about than whether my BGP session is valid. (And he probably has the capability to do whatever he wants, no matter how hard I try to stop him.)

As for public peering points, the ARP resolution would cause problems, and either I or my peer would notice pretty darned quickly. But only a small percentage of the traffic on the 'Net goes over public peering points these days anyway.

Not sure where else anyone could use MD5 on their BGP. Maybe I missed something?

--
TTFN,
patrick