Re: What Worked - What Didn't

  • From: Ian Cooper
  • Date: Mon Sep 17 14:15:28 2001

At 13:49 9/17/2001 -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

Akamai did not work well Tuesday morning, at least for me. I do not know whether their servers
were overloaded, or couldn't get content from the source, but they did NOT work
well as seen from here.

Washington Post.com, for example, loaded ONCE for me before about 3:00 PM EDT, and I
know that site is Akamized.
But it would depend on how far the Akamaization had been taken. Typical use (Freeflow) would be for all the graphics to sit on the Akamai surrogates - that still means that you have to pull the initial HTML "glue" from the (overloaded) origin server.

I guess the future will show whether the fast-moving news environment will choose to use the full Edgesuite environment (in the case of Akamai, let's not forget there are other CDNs out there), which would also deliver the initial HTML.