RE: What Worked - What Didn't

  • From: Miles Fidelman
  • Date: Mon Sep 17 13:59:23 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Daniel Golding wrote:

> 1) The Internet, as currently constituted makes a lousy news propagation
> method, for large audiences. The one to many model in unicast IP puts too
> large of a load on the source. Good multicast (which we don't have yet) may

one comment on this: email-based news seemed to work VERY well - both very
focused news (such as operational material on nanog), and more general
news (I found CNNs "breaking news" email list to be very informative - in
fact, I first heard about the initial airliner crash via that list)

Miles

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
[email protected]	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"