Re: Qwest Statement (was Re: information on 60 hudson / 140 west st ?)

  • From: Frank Coluccio
  • Date: Mon Sep 17 13:49:53 2001

As to be expected, there continues to be a certain amount [not too much, but
enough to be disconcerting] of spin and coyness from some of the service
providers, in general, despite the current circumstances demanding of full
disclosure. For example, one of AT&T's spokespeople stated last week that there
was no impact to AT&T's *Long Distance* Network. Nowhere in the same release,
however, did they mention that their main NY City hub for AT&T/LNS (Local Network
Services) was covered by rubble.

Incidentally, our office in the South Street Seaport district and we are totally
o.o.s. We just received power a little while ago from one of the many portable
generators that were shipped in by ConEd. But we have no visible means of
obtaining status for voice and data comms at this time, and of course, our 'Net
services are linked via a West Street subscriber loops, which places us s.o.o.l.

As an aside, I'm told that VZ has 'remote-ed,' through the use of fiber-remote
nodes, some of their nxx switching entities to Pearl Street and Broad Street, in
cases where users had dual-fed loop access in place as a part of their
contingency plans for just this type of disaster. -FAC