What Worked - What Didn't

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Sep 17 12:55:39 2001

As the New York Stock market re-opens, and some things are returning
to normal, I'd like to look at how well the Internet performed last
week.

At the Oakland NANOG I'd like to give a presentation about what worked,
and what didn't work during the last week in regards to the Internet.  I
would like to gather what details I can from both small and large
providers in New York, the rest of the USA, and even overseas about
what they saw, what problems they experienced, and what things worked.

You can send me private mail if you wish, with or without attribution.
This is a personal effort, not assocated with my employer.

Oakland NANOG is several weeks away, so I don't expect an immediate
response.  I expect many ISPs will be conducting their own internal
reviews.  But if you could, please consider responding.  I'm looking
for input from small, medium and large providers. Thank you.

A few questions, all related to the time between Sept 11 and 17:

 1. Briefly tell me who you are, and generally where your operations
    were located?

 2. What worked?

 3. What didn't work?

 4. Did you activate your emergency response plan?

 5. Were you required to do anything different operationally?  Did you
    make preventive operational changes?

 6. Were any infrastructure administration functions impaired, such
    as DNS registration, routing registry, address delegation?

 7. Were you able to communicate NOC-to-NOC when needed?

 8. Were any means of communications nonfunctional or impaired (direct
    dial telephone, toll-free telephone, pager, e-mail, fax) when you
    attempted to communicate with other NOC's?

 9. Did you ask for or receive a request for mutual aid from any other
    providers?  Was it provided?

10. Within the limits of safety and rescue efforts, where you able to
    gain access to your physical facilities?

11. Did hoaxes or rumors impact your operations?

12. Do you have any recommendations how Internet providers could have
    responded differently?