FCC: Do anything you can do to help

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Sep 15 16:39:49 2001

On Sat, 15 September 2001, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > If anyone needs and kind of connectivity between the following buildings:
>
> Likewise, if anyone who needs temporary dark fiber between 60 Hudson
> and 111 8th, I've identified some MFN strands.  And, PAIX is ready to
> provide temporary housing at 111 8th for any servers or nodes dispossessed
> by the WTC attack.

I expect all LEC, CLECs, wireline, wireless, carrier, non-carrier,
traditional, next-generation, tier 1, tier 2, etc are willing and
working to relocate and re-route anyone with service, systems, etc
disrupted or destroyed by Tuesday's attacks.

The FCC has told carriers "Do anything you can do to help."  I would
apply the same statement to non-regulated ISPs and alternative communication
providers.  If you need special assistance in getting circuits re-routed,
or installed in a new location, talk to your provider.  Consider many
of the alternative providers, which had a lot of excess capacity before
Tuesday's attack.

For example, there are reports of several former dot-COM property management
companies offering space in buildings previously occupied by dot-COM companies
which went out of business earlier this summer.