Re: Pointer to clearinghouse for NY IT volunteers?

  • From: Strata Rose Chalup
  • Date: Sat Sep 15 05:56:05 2001

John,

I'm not hearing much (out here in California), but the few
points I know of are being tracked on:

http://kgate.virtual.net/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?action=Browse&id=TechAssistance

Currently (2:58am PST, Sept 15) we have:

-------begin snip---------------

     Another Resource/Assistance Coordination page (Telehouse Europe based)
          http://www.sourcedest.org/resourcelist.rhtm
     Wall Street Technology Association coordination page
          http://www.wsta.org/forum/list.php?f=4
     NANOG Archives, many offers to assist in NYC and elsewhere
          http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/html/nanog/index.html

Via NANOG:

According to www.nysemo.state.ny.us which is the NY state emergency
management center, the number to volunteer your time for
the cause is 800-801-8092. They'll put you in a database with
your name and phone number and expertise, which is available to the
command posts. They particularly want firemen and medical people,
but they seem receptive to everything.

------end snip--------

Please email us anything that you come up with that isn't listed
above.  We are working with other resource listers to share info.
Thanks much!

SRC

John Todd wrote:

> It has been mentioned on this list and others that there is a
> requirement for volunteers in NYC to help bring things back on line
> from a network and machine perspective.
>
> I'll put my money where my mouth is and say that I'll be available in
> NYC on Monday at 06:00.  What I have not been able to determine is
> how I find a company that needs what I can do.  Is there a
> clearinghouse for volunteer IP-networking or UNIX systems staff?  The
> Red Cross seems like an unusual place to go for figuring out what
> firms need what help... they seem to me to be a place to go to assist
> people, not companies.  I'm not an EMT, a social worker, or a ditch
> digger, so I'll stick with helping with what I know how to do.
>
> Do any of you who are closer to the question know where a person
> should report to get an assignment, and what data I should furnish to
> make the process easier?
>
> Sorry for the almost-non-operational content here - I'm hoping
> someone can reply to the list with a pointer to a location that will
> lend some operational content to this recently high noise/low signal
> discussion.
>
> Otherwise, I'll wear a sign around my neck with my resume on it that
> says "FREE NETWORKING GEEK" on Monday AM.  Yes, I'm serious.  :)
>
> JT
> --
>
> John Todd                   [email protected]
>      Director of Support Services/MIS
> Cidera, Inc.          http://www.cidera.com/
> voice:(01)301-561-2140  fax:(01)708-810-6008

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@" virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
 ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **