Pointer to clearinghouse for NY IT volunteers?

  • From: John Todd
  • Date: Fri Sep 14 22:56:14 2001

It has been mentioned on this list and others that there is a requirement for volunteers in NYC to help bring things back on line from a network and machine perspective.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and say that I'll be available in NYC on Monday at 06:00. What I have not been able to determine is how I find a company that needs what I can do. Is there a clearinghouse for volunteer IP-networking or UNIX systems staff? The Red Cross seems like an unusual place to go for figuring out what firms need what help... they seem to me to be a place to go to assist people, not companies. I'm not an EMT, a social worker, or a ditch digger, so I'll stick with helping with what I know how to do.

Do any of you who are closer to the question know where a person should report to get an assignment, and what data I should furnish to make the process easier?

Sorry for the almost-non-operational content here - I'm hoping someone can reply to the list with a pointer to a location that will lend some operational content to this recently high noise/low signal discussion.

Otherwise, I'll wear a sign around my neck with my resume on it that says "FREE NETWORKING GEEK" on Monday AM. Yes, I'm serious. :)

JT
--

John Todd [email protected]
Director of Support Services/MIS