New Worm

  • From: Ejay Hire
  • Date: Fri Sep 14 11:13:42 2001

My Honeypot was infected with a new self-replicating worm yesterday.  It appears to check for open win95/98/me netbios shares with read/write permission and installs wininit.exe (the scanner/infector) and the distributed.net client (In quiet Mode).  Upon reboot, the scanner will start and search for infectable hosts during periods of inactivity.  The windows 2000 pro pc seems unaffected.  I will make the files available for dis-assembly if anyone is interested.

To check for infection, look for the following files in c:/windows/system

wininit.exe  --Application
wininit.log  --Apparent Log file
info.dll   --Apparent Log file
dnetc.exe  --  Distributed.net client
dnetc.ini -- Distributed.net config
Buff-in.* -- Distributed.net work units
ms216.exe -- Unknown, but the timestamp matched the other files...