Re: Internet assessment - September 13 2001

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Fri Sep 14 10:42:58 2001

>On Fri, 14 September 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 01:10:55AM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:
>> > The Internet routed around much of the failure, but there seem to be
>> > only a few individual networks which are unreachable.  The generator
>>
>> I know that MFN/AboveNet is quite willing to provide temporary
>> peering/transit services in the US and Europe for networks affected
>> by this action.  I suspect most other providers are offering similar
>> help.  I would hope that the Internet community could get these
>> networks back online in fairly short order to help keep communications
>> flowing.  For those networks completely offline, can those with
>> phone contacts pass this message along to them via voice lines?
>

>I don't have a breakout of individual networks, so I can't give you
>contact information for the networks offline.  I've just been following
>total networks, ASNs, etc.  In particular Geoff's great graphs
>
>http://www.telstra.net/ops/bgp/bgp-active.html
>
>It appears a few hundred route announcements disappeared from the total
>of 104,400 routes.  In other words, less that 1% of the routes.
>
>Telstra may be located on the other side of the globe, but I'll take
>data where I can find it.
>
>I can't tell how many are single-homed networks and servers located in
>directly impacted area of New York, and how much is due to a combination
>of failures in the area affecting both the primary, backup or alternate
>facilities.

Sean;

  Here is what we have from DC (times are EDT, from
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html )

Tueseday  : 6:00 AM - we saw 11617 ASN & 103978 bgp routes
Tueseday  :12:00 AM - we saw 11597 ASN & 103697 bgp routes
Tueseday  : 6:00 PM - we saw 11583 ASN & 103548 bgp routes
Wednesday : 6:00 AM - we saw 11566 ASN & 103321 bgp routes
Thursday  : 6:00 AM - we saw 11590 ASN & 103447 bgp routes
Friday    : 6:00 AM - we saw 11534 ASN & 103376 bgp routes

This is all the granularity I have, alas.

The Friday drop is due apparently to loosing 25 Broadway.
The Tuesday drop is slower and more complicated -

Verio dropped 12 ASN by noon. Renater (AS 2200) dropped 32
ASN between noon and 6 PM. Other interesting ones lost
include

AS     98  ROCKEFELLER-AS
AS   4190  BINGHAMTON-U
AS  11872  SYRACUSE-UNIVERSITY
AS  13619  BASELINEFINANCIALWTC (a sad AS name now).
AS  17087  NYSA
AS  19072  OFFICEMAX
AS  19073  DIGITRADE
AS  19755  KIMBANET

Some of these may have lost peering, some, such as AS 13619 and
17087, may have been taken out entirely.

                    Regards
                    Marshall Eubanks

Marshall Eubanks

[email protected]