RE: Analysis from a JHU CS Prof

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Thu Sep 13 18:54:51 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Matt Levine wrote:

> It's a moot point anyway, it's pretty clear the hijackers had flight
> training of some sort AND were well organized, and would be familiar
> with the steps that the pilots would take.
>

> Regards,
> Matt

Since most commercial aircraft have multiple transponders, it should be
assumed that if an aircraft stops squacking, something is BAD
WRONG.  Beyond this, the ability of the flight crew (any of them) to push
a "panic" button that would cause the transponder to squack a
predetermined distress code may me a good measure to implement.  This
"Panic" button should NOT provide any visible confirmation in the
flight-deck instrumentation but instead, the ATC should in some cryptic
form acknowledge the fact that the aircraft is in distress via radio
communications. (perhaps a minor heading correction that is not needed,
etc.)

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc