Re: Totally OT, sorry; was (Re: Lack of Security)

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Thu Sep 13 11:55:11 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> The problem I have with all of the FAA action is that anyone with
> a valid rating can rent a plane, even planes this large if they
> have enough money.  I would guess the hijackers wanted a plane full
> of people for additional shock value, but obtaining an empty (but

The passengers were a small "insurance policy" that they wouldn't be blown
out of the air by intercepting fighters.  It's psychologically difficult
enough to splash a camel-humping terrorist, let alone have to splash
60-300 innocent people who are unwillingly along for the ride.  The
terrorists knew that this moral issue would weigh in their favor.

> full of fuel) plane would be even easier for them, and almost no
> FAA security measures would stop them.  Additionally, on a private
> plane they could load on it explosive cargo without too much effort,
> adding even more punch to the process.

The same goes for rental cars/trucks.

> I do believe we need to figure out how these planes were hijacked,
> and take steps to prevent it from happening again.  That said, I
> find it highly unlikely that eliminating curbside checkin will have
> any effect other than to inconvenience travelers.

I agree.  Baggage checked at the curb goes through the same procedures as
baggage carried to the ticket counter.  It's just more convenient.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc