Re: Lack of Security (Way OT)

  • From: Andy Ellifson
  • Date: Thu Sep 13 00:47:09 2001

How does the pilot go to the bathroom?  How does the pilot change
positions with a relief pilot on flights over 12 hours?  How does the
pilot/co-pilot perform emergency maintance in the lower avionics
compartments if their is some type of failure?  How can the pilot
visually inspect any type wing damage/other damage that may/may not
have an effect on how the plane flies?  If both pilots are
killed/overcome/pass out, how would a passenger/flight attendant get to
the controls to bring the plane down with direction from ATC?

The current model needs trust as it allows for a greater number of
survival possibilities for the aircraft.

Don't band-aid the problem.  Eliminate the problem.

I have a friend that used to work in security for a large major
airline.  The Air Marshalls have never disappeared.  You just don't
know they are there.  The only people that know they are there is the
flight crew.  They dress like you and me and act like you and me.  An
Air Marshall on any one of those 4 flights could have easily eliminated
the situation unless the pilot was an imposter from takeoff.

--- Geoff Zinderdine <[email protected]> wrote:

> Terribly sorry to stray so much from on topic, but I have a question
> I can't
> satisfactorily answer my self.  First I wish to convey my deep sorrow
> and
> sympathy to all listmembers directly or indirectly affected by this
> attack.
> Our thoughts and prayers are with you here in Canada, and we shall
> strike
> with one heart and mind at those that perpetrated this act.  My
> question
> follows:
>
> You can't get into a cab in NYC that doesn't have a shield that
> protects the
> cabbie from the passengers.  Why on earth is the cabin even
> accessible from
> the passenger compartment?  Could planes not be constructed to
> isolate the
> cabin entirely from the passengers?  You could certainly provide
> limited
> seating for pilots that were flying along forward of this partition.
>
> Is there any good reason for the amount of trust which is required in
> the
> present model?
>
> Regards,
>
> Geoff Zinderdine