Fwd: power saving tip on GSRs - pls fwd

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Sep 12 18:50:34 2001

A suggestion on how to reduce power consumption

Subject: power saving tip on GSRs - pls fwd
To: [email protected]
From: Eric Osborne <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:42:59 -0400

I don't think I have nanog-post capability, so I'm passing this on to
you in order to share with the rest of the world; please pass on as
you like.

For folks concerned about power usage (i.e. buildings near WTC running
on generator), 'hw-module slot <x> shut' on GSRs will power down a
given linecard.  This is useful for those whose LCs are installed but
not in use.  Of course, don't use this if you have one or more ports
in use on an LC.

'sh led' will then show 'SLOT x  : DOWNADMN'

'no hw-mod slot <x> shut' turns power back on.

Supported command, too, unlike the 'test ...' sequence that does
almost the same thing.

Share and enjoy.

eric