Not all Men In Black work for the Government (was Re: Carnivore)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Sep 12 18:17:55 2001

On Wed, 12 September 2001, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46747,00.html
>
> How many have installed it?

>From what little I know about Carnivore, there are a few
odd elements in that story.

However, I would point out people have impersonated law enforcement
officers in the past in order to gain access to facilities.  "Real"
law enforcement should never have a problem with you calling a lawyer
or contacting the FBI/DOJ to verify their credentials.  Use the phone
number in the telephone book, not the one on their business card.

The Carnivore box is rather limited, and comes with a lot of paperwork.
And in all cases, the government must pay for any service they use
(circuits, time and materials).  If nothing else, there were be
paperwork for were to send the bill.

There is no "emergency" where law enforcement can't get a judge or
other proper authority in time.  FBI agents are fairly well trained,
and most have a high degree of respect for the law.  I've talked to
several members of the technical branch, and they've all told me they
are willing wait while the lawyers decide what they can and can't do.

"Real" law enforcement won't object to you calling your lawyer, and
often will assist you contacting your lawyer to speed up the process.
If the Men In Black won't let you talk to a lawyer, somethings wrong.

The last thing I think the FBI wants to do is trash someone's network,
*again*.