Re: ABC News mentions Echelon

  • From: John Neiberger
  • Date: Wed Sep 12 12:05:52 2001

|  --- Marshall Eubanks <[email protected]> wrote:
|  >
|  > They must be referring to echelon. What's interesting
|  > is that ABC news is saying that they have echolon
|  > like capabilities in the Continental US.
|  >
|  > This is much rumoured but always denied and probably
|  > technically illegal.
|
|  Hogwash.  The US laws prevent only the US Agency from spying on it's
|  citizens.  There is nothing that prevents the other Echelon partners (I
|  beleive they are Austrailia, Britian, and New Zealand) from doing the
|  spying and sharing the results.
|
|  -Jim P.

The US doesn't even bother with all of that; they directly monitor domestic
communications of American citizens as a matter of routine.  Sad, but true.
I know this because I know someone who used to be involved with the project.
He denies that it is called Echelon but he does not deny that it exists.

John

http://inbox.excite.com