Re: Analysis from a JHU CS Prof

  • From: Scott A Crosby
  • Date: Wed Sep 12 05:03:26 2001

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Vadim Antonov wrote:
> > Locked bulletproof door to the cockpit. Survelliance cameras in the
> > passenger compartments.  That all which was needed to foil the attack. Now
> > I think it's time to ask why this isn't the standard procedure?
>
> Or they could just fly plainclothes armed marshals on US flights.
>
> Apparently they tried this years ago, but stopped because it was
> "uneconomical". I guess the airlines have figured out how to put a dollar
> amount on human lives.

Nope, people put a price on human lives. You put a price on your life, in
the form of how much extra you're willing to pay for extra safety devices.
For example, due to what people are willing to pay for automotive
safety devices, the DoT estimates that the average human values their life
at a few million dollars.

``"For the interim, those agencies that use a dollar value of life in
economic analyses should use $1.5 million." ''
   --  http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/legsregs/directives/techadvs/t75702.htm

That URL covers the current cost estimate of a human life. Currently
though, it is now at 2.6 million dollars.

So yes, there is a price on human life, set by every human in the united
states.

Scott

[don't have nanog posting privledges]