Re: Additional Power Outages in Lower Manhattan

  • From: Robert Boyle
  • Date: Wed Sep 12 04:25:07 2001

---- Original Message ----
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected],
Subject: Re: Additional Power Outages in Lower Manhattan
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 01:28:03 -0400 (EDT)

>On 11 Sep 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:
>32 Old Slip houses (at least) an ATT local services switch (ex-tcg,
>ex-acc), Focal, and GlobalNaps.  We lost PRIs and backhauls at about
>5:45
>p.m.  The last Focal person I spoke with said the building was
>evacuated
>this morning (it's actually quite far from WTC, relatively speaking).
>Apparently whatever generator power they have has to be manually
>activated.

I just spoke to the Focal NOC and they claim they have been running
on generator power at 32 Old Slip since this morning and they have
now run out and since no (fuel) trucks are allowed into the city...
Focal claims to have two people there at the building investigating
whether they can use DC power to run things until 10:30AM when they
have been told power will be restored.

Our GlobalNAPs contacts told us earlier today that the building
management at 32 Old Slip elected to not turn on the generators or
that they were unable to do so because of the soot in the air.

I'm not sure which story is true or if both are partially correct.
All staff was evacuated from the building in the AM and we are only
communicating with staff in remote cities so their information may
not be any better than us guessing.

I just wanted to relate the AC restoration time 10:30AM? and the two
conflicting stories I have heard regarding generator power at 32 Old
Slip.

-Robert