Re: Horrible world trade center crash, traffic effect

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Tue Sep 11 14:59:27 2001

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 10:32:58AM -0400, Randy Neals wrote:
> Traffic patterns on our network are starting to look different than normal.
> I expected more traffic but it seems that traffic volumes are decreasing
> slightly.
>
> What are others seeing?

>From here I saw increases this morning when the event occured that
definately show up on all the monitoring.  While the level shot up
it then leveled off, and is now at a normal daily level for the
afternoon.

I suspect at this time the increased news traffic and the like is
offset by the reduction in some otherwise normal traffic with things
like the stock markets being closed.

News and news related sites are slammed, of course.  Many are showing
page load problems.  I don't see any direct bandwidth problems from
my locations, all the issues appear to be host loading.

I can only hope that since IP networks seem to be working fairly well,
all things considered, that we are all helping some people communicate
with loved ones when the phone networks are clearly experiencing
problems.

--
Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440