RE: Horrible world trade center crash, traffic effect

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Tue Sep 11 13:29:25 2001

The problem seems to be site limiting, rather than network limiting. i.e.,
news sites are being overloaded, which is causing slow or no response to
http queries due to either server overload (my guess) or news site transit
link overload (also possible). This is what seems to be causing lacking of
response to news sites, instead of generalized network or peering
congestion.

It doesn't help that it looks like CNN decided to turn off the "akamization"
of their content. This had the immediate effect of helping them get the news
up on their site faster, but the lack of Flash Crowd protection really hurt
them in the long run.

It is definately a Flash Crowd day. :(

- Daniel Golding