Re: end2end? (was: RE: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

  • From: Brandin L Claar
  • Date: Mon Sep 10 17:23:16 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 08:31:03PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> Only if the MTUs on all interfaces of the routers are the same.
> Otherwise you might generate a ICMP size exceeded message that
> will never reach the sender, breaking Path MTU Discovery.

And now I finally have something to add to this brilliant discussion.

That is what I truly love about NAT.  It breaks totally inane filth like
path mtu discovery.  I'm sure if someone had an MTU < ethernet on an
internal router they wouldn't need NAT breaking path MTU discovery to
bring it to their attention.

--
Brandin Claar
Network Analyst