Re: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

  • From: Scott Gifford
  • Date: Mon Sep 10 13:41:40 2001

Randy Bush <[email protected]> writes:

> > Not exactly, in your scenario you are counting on the firewall to block
> > hostile traffic destined for some ips.  If they are Natted, it is more
> > work to compromise those stations.
>
> and if you change your name you are less likely to be mugged.

I think that most of this discussion has been about not just straight
address translation, but NAT with port translation.  If you're using
address and port translation, the analogy goes more like "if you never
leave the house, but instead go through the same motions while sitting
in your house, while a robot performs your actions out in the real
world, you are less likely to be mugged."  Which is true, if somewhat
of a dull existence...

----ScottG.