Re: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

  • From: Scott Gifford
  • Date: Mon Sep 10 13:33:19 2001

Roeland Meyer <[email protected]> writes:

> [...]

I don't understand what kind of "fix patch" you're talking about
here...NAT uses the same techniques that a stateful firewall uses; if
you can find some kind of "fix patch" to bypass NAT, chances are
excellent it will work on a stateful firewally, too.

I've actually seen the question of how NAT breaks the Internet more
than a good stateful firewall come up more than once, and haven't
really seen a satisfactory answer.  Where does a stateful firewall
configured to only allow outgoing connections work that NAT doesn't?

I ask not to drag this discussion on, but because I use NAT for
address conservation and security on a couple networks that I operate,
and am curious if I'd be much better off with something different...

-----ScottG.