Re: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

  • From: Joel Baker
  • Date: Mon Sep 10 13:14:47 2001

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 07:00:03PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Right, the tradition has roots at least a few years further back
> in the hack created by the "poor dialup shell account user" to allow
> them to get SLIP (and, at some point, CSLIP and PPP) access to the net
> without needing their own IP assigned by using a shell server they had an
> account on, with it's IP address.  First done in TIA, then SLiRP.
>
> That was... 1994 or earlier.
>
> And TIA is essentially NAT, implemented in a manner that would be
> considered peculiar compared to today's common implementations.

TIA was pervasive enough, and causing enough *problems*, that many ISPs
were banning it's use, as of fall, 1994 (I can pin it that accurately due
to circumstances that only existed during that period, when I was dealing
with it).

SLiRP was around by, at latest, mid-1995, in response to it. Linux had
functional masquerade code at that time, as well, though it was a royal
pain to deal with (IE, nothing has changed much :)
[email protected]              http://www.lightbearer.com/~lucifer