Re: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Fri Sep 07 13:53:38 2001

Sez you.  As you design you app, please consider how many NATs the
packets must traverse and what each may do to your packets while in
flight (without telling you squat) before they reach the intended
destination (and for that matter, how do you tell when you've arrived?)

NAT designers mess with MTU, headers, and even the data.  By the
time the packets "reach" the intended receipient, they're not even
mine anymore.  But that is a comforting thought. Plausable Deniability.
"No UrHonour, I never sent that. It did not come from my machine."

Again, NAT is a tool.  Where it makes sense to share fate, impose
random policy, and (oh yeah) save some slots in Friend Bushes routing
table, NAT is your friend.

:Random Ob:
Flip NAT over, use RFC 1918 space as the "global" address space and
run everything else "inside" as private space.  This may be the "poison pill"
that solves the apparent routing table problems if the IRTF & IESG can't
solve the problems for us in time.

--bill (needing more sleep)