web pages not loading (from certain networks) but not a routing issue.

  • From: Nanog
  • Date: Fri Sep 07 10:56:31 2001

Ok guys,

Interesting problem that seems to have started on Friday.

Here's the deal, it seems that certain (not all) web pages on various sites
we host are not loading for certain customers. It started on Friday with
visitors on Verizon DSL waiting forever for pages to load.

Yesterday and today PacBell DSL and some Netcom customers started
complaining.

This only seems to occur on HTTP traffic. If we have the visitors try HTTPS
the pages load fine (with the normal encryption slowdown).

We've looked at Layers 1-4, and can't see any problems, ping looks great,
interfaces and cpus on routers, servers and switches look fine.

It's almost like it's a transparent cache "bug". Anyone know if Inktomi, or
any major cache vendors rolled out any new code this week?

For that matter does anyone know what caches Verizon and SBC use for
starters?

Other variables: it only seems to occur on IIS based systems (I know I know,
no flame wars or suggestions for replacements). Although it's not happening
on all of our IIS servers.

Any clues are greatly appreciated.

Steve