Re: Digex and Akamai are raping the ARIN whois database

  • From: Bob K
  • Date: Tue Sep 04 23:36:48 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> Bull. If I as an individual give permission for an organization I have
> some sort of relationship with to have mail sent to me by third parties,
> that's my perogative. What you are in fact saying is that I'm not allowed
> to give that permission.
>
> The problem is that the sleaze factor that permeates the space.

That's not the only problem.  People sign other people up for those lists
as a revenge tactic; consequently, those lists are worse than worthless if
they don't include the IP & timestamp of when that person signed up (and
are still hazardous to use even with that info).  One is far, far better
off collecting addresses through clear, legitimate opt-in methods...

--
Bob <[email protected]> | Yes.  I know.  That is, indeed, *not* mayonnaise.