Re: Upsurge in attacks?

  • From: Chris Rapier
  • Date: Tue Sep 04 22:18:43 2001

Deepak Jain wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed an upsurge in unsophisticated [packet flood, etc]
> attacks since college kids have to their own devices in dorms again this
> year?

Well... depends on the kind fo attack. I'm actually seeing fewer large
packet ICMP attacks than I was a couple of months ago. I'm guessing this
is because more zombied machine have been cleared out. There are the
normal number of scans that one might expect (bored freshmen with
ethernet connectiosn to the fatest network they've ever seen, what would
you do?) but, suprisingly enough the number of naive DoS attacks seems
to be on the decline around me. I need to look at the security logs a
little closer but I think I'm correct. I wrote our security stuff but
I've not looked at it in almost a month now.

Note: We only really start to give a damn when attacks start to suck up
more than 20Mbps on its own. Anything less than that is either not worth
the hassle or gets lost in the noise. Our position as a GigaPOP
eliminates a few potential areas of concern.