Re: Digex and Akamai are raping the ARIN whois database

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Tue Sep 04 19:49:37 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Dave Israel wrote:

Mr. Israel already knows this. I'm posting it for the benefit of the other
participants. :)

> Ah, I knew this was coming.
>
> For the record:
>
>   Digex.net does not do any sort of web hosting.  Digex.com does not
> do any sort of leased line sales.

Digex.net is Intermedia. Digex.com is Digex, the web hosting arm of
Worldcom.

> and I'm hoping that everybody realizes that the digex.net/icix.net
> folks have nothing to do with this whatsoever.  I have no idea if
> digex.com knew what they were getting into with this.  I hope they
> did not.  Please, though, don't harrass/mailbomb us IBI/digex.net
> folks.  We're innocent.  I swear.

Intermedia is clued WRT abuse. (If they weren't, I wouldn't be an IBI
reseller.) In fact the person who is more or less in charge of abuse over
there is a friend of mine and is at least a lurker here -- However,
although I have the pleasure of knowing some of the people on the UUNET
abuse team - and there are plenty of people there who take joy in
thwacking spam and spammers - I don't know if they have any authority over
the other Worldcom divisions. Supposedly, if a UUNET sales droid spams,
they get spanked pretty hard. But this is Digex, not UUNET.

It is important to note that while they still use digex.net, IBI's name is
Intermedia Business Internet. Digex *is* strictly hosting, and I've been
corrected by my friend the abuse czar more than once. Digex != IBI; IBI !=
Digex. Digex is part of the "Degeneration D" Collective.

HTH. HAND.

--
JustThe.net LLC - Steve "Web Dude" Sobol, CTO - [email protected]

Donate a portion of your monthly ISP bill to your favorite charity or
non-profit organization! E-mail me for details.