Re: Digex and Akamai are raping the ARIN whois database

  • From: Avi Freedman
  • Date: Tue Sep 04 16:56:12 2001

Marketing has had luck with opt-in lists in the past year or so.  This is
the first time there's been a problem with list-based e-mail.  Here, they
tried a sampling of the list as a trial and had problems.  So then there's
a negotiation internally, since opt-in-based e-mailings have worked in the
past.

The reasonable compromise was made to be more vigilant and shut the practice
off if there was another problem.  The proper emphasis on the affect
spam has on our network partners and customers has been reemphasized with
multiple clue-by-fours, however, and we're involved in setting up a sanity
filter for anything that would happen going forward with purchased lists.

Avi