Re: multi-homing fixes

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Sat Sep 01 05:00:43 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Greg Maxwell wrote:

> > addresses, so when one path goes down, it will use another. (SCTP is
> > useless as a TCP replacement, though.) And there have been successful

> I've been being good about keeping my multi6 advocacy off of nanog, but I
> have to correct here:  SCTP can be used as a full replacement of TCP as it
> is a strict superset, it also can replace UDP for many applications.

That is like replacing passenger trains by freight trains. After all,
aren't passengers just one type of freight?

SCTP has a whole bunch of features that are of no use to our current
applications, that all expect TCP. It would be very unwise to switch to a
new transport protocol just because it has one desirable feature that can
very easily be built in TCP.

Two modules that do 99% the same thing but with different code is bad
software design. And SCTP is not backwards compatible with older TCP
implementations or access filters or firewalls or anything.