Re: multi-homing fixes

  • From: Greg Maxwell
  • Date: Fri Aug 31 10:53:44 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

[snip]
> The only way we're ever going back to a 8k routing table in IPv6 is if
> multihoming at the host level becomes a decent alternative. There is SCTP,
> a transport protocol that will handle multiple source and destination IP
> addresses, so when one path goes down, it will use another. (SCTP is
> useless as a TCP replacement, though.) And there have been successful
> experiments with adding this kind of functionality to TCP.
[snip]

I've been being good about keeping my multi6 advocacy off of nanog, but I
have to correct here:  SCTP can be used as a full replacement of TCP as it
is a strict superset, it also can replace UDP for many applications.

As soon as the SCTP TCP-like API is finished in the Linux kernel SCTP
implimentation I'll be making the minor changes to a few apps (lynx,
openssh, and apache for starters) to demonstrate how easily TCP
applications can be transisitoned to SCTP for multihoming support (SCTP
has a number of additional advantages that would be useful, such has
multiple streams which would require more then a simple search and
replace).