Re: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Fri Aug 31 00:38:02 2001

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> I have been trying to avoid saying this, but this is just nonsense with
> a little srinkle of "doesn't matter" here and there.

You're not the first to tell that i'm talking nonsense; but i had both
experience with a water-cooled computer (not something i wish to repeat),
_and_ designing hardware for COs (heck, the first computer i laid my hands
on was using thyratrones (sp?) for triggers, and quite a few relays).

> > Actually, talking about water/electricity interaction in refrigerators,
> > lab equipment, etc, misses the very simple point - a probability of a leak
> > is proportional (as a good approximation :) to the number of moveable
> > components (PCBs, connectors, etc) in the system.  In a typical CO it's
> > tens or hundreds of thousands.
>
> I don't remember seeing anybody talking about lab equipment and refrigerators
> here.

> We (some of us) were talking about liquid-cooled electronics, some of them
> were talking about actual experience--mine with water-cooled CPU's.

Not everything which works in one-of-a-kind supercomputers is workable in
your average central office.  People who build equipment which has to work
for years w/o interruptions, survive quakes, power faliures and
thick-fingered technicans are not idiots; and if water cooling was a real
solution for CO environmental control woes, they'd use it.

In an average CO a poodle on a floor has a risk of not being noticed for
a couple of months.  It doesn't have an alarm relay, you see?

(Have you ever seen a blast of H2/O2 mix resulting from electrolysis? No?)

--vadim