RE: FIBER CUT: Dallas to West Coast

  • From: Chris Boyd
  • Date: Thu Aug 30 15:34:35 2001

If you really need diversity, talk to _one_ carrier that can go everywhere
you need.  It's much easier for one proviioning group to make sure that your
circuits don't go through the same fiber, ring, cross-connect, mux, or
office if they have complete visibility to both circuits.  Nigh impossible
if you try to get two different carriers to cooperate like that, I would
think.

For better or worse, many times carriers wind up putting fiber right next to
the competition.  One tugboat crash, derailment that spills acid, backhoe,
etc can take out all the routes for all the carriers.

--Chris