Re: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

  • From: mike harrison
  • Date: Thu Aug 30 09:31:47 2001

> (And as a point of interest, distilled water at neutral ph is a
> reasonably good insulator, if I recall correctly.)

It has to be deionized, and yes, it is a very good insulator
if the purity of the deionization is high enough. But there are
better fluids that transfer heat better and will not pick up
free ions (making them conductive) from the metal tubing around them.
Alcohol cooling used to be a favorite for electronics. EthylGlycols are
good, but messy.

Maybe it's time to make some small point cooling systems for routers.
When I was young electronics nut, we'd cool stereo amps this way
to up the power output. As the last rack mount computer I installed
had 6 cooling fans.. maybe it's time...