Re: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

  • From: George Michaelson
  • Date: Thu Aug 30 00:06:30 2001

> I recall something about liquid (something, could be nitrogen, or perhaps
> even mercury) that was chilled; PC Boards were then submersed in the
> liquid to keep cool.
>
> Maybe on Crays?

Flourinert. very odd Lime green transparent liquid. in our cray, it was
in a tank with a toilet float to keep the fluid topped up.

the pipe bend radii for the cray fluid was *more* than the IBM waterpipes.
our floor was raised to meet IBM. we had to sweat blood to get the cray in
because of a 10-12mil difference. :-(

the 400hz voltage genset was deeply scary. circuit breakers that smoke
when they blow, fuzes like those in 'bil(l) the galactic hero'

-George