Re: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Wed Aug 29 23:54:16 2001

I recall something about liquid (something, could be nitrogen, or perhaps
even mercury) that was chilled; PC Boards were then submersed in the
liquid to keep cool.

Maybe on Crays?

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Daniel Senie wrote:

> At 11:10 PM 8/29/01, Vadim Antonov wrote:
>

> >On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Andrew Partan wrote:
> >
> > > I have proposed to various router vendors the possibility of giving
> > > them a chilled water feed instead of lots of cool air.  At the
> > > moment they seem to not need it, but I would not be surprized to
> > > find something like this needed at some point.
> >
> >Err. Water and electricvity make a dangerous mix.
>
> And this was not a problem in IBM Mainframe computers because?
>
> I'm not registering an opinion one way or the other at this point on
> whether routers should consider other forms of cooling, but using water or
> other liquids to cool electronics is not a new concept. Properly
> engineered, there is no particular danger.
> Daniel Senie                                        [email protected]
> Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, [email protected], latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --