RE: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

  • From: John Ferriby
  • Date: Wed Aug 29 15:26:06 2001

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> It's even worse than that: as far as I know, they never used the 68060 or
> even 68040 CPUs. These puppies are a LOT faster than a 68030.

They did provide a path using the 68040.  "CSC/4" in cisco parlance.
After that they piddled around with the MIPS chip.   The 4500 was
the first unit to have it and then new CPUs starting showing up for
the 7000 series.

You're right though: the 68060 would have prolonged the working life
of a number of these units.   I have some still in storage.   They would
be good for the Smithsonian in a couple years.

-John