RE: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Wed Aug 29 13:25:05 2001

To boost this point, exponential growth, approaching infinity, becomes
asymptotic. There is no way that is going to happen and there is no way we
can do anything about it if it does. For one thing, there is a finite number
of people on the planet. There is also a finite number of nodes we can build
in a year. Both factors create upper bounds for the problem under
discussion. What *can* happen is a classic "S" curve that has a rather steep
cliff at the front of it. But, that is like the six blind dudes and the
elephant. The cliff isn't the whole curve. Sooner or later, you run out of
atmosphere and you can't climb anymore.