Re: multi-homing fixes

  • From: Majdi S. Abbas
  • Date: Tue Aug 28 02:39:28 2001

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:33:16PM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> Considering the cost of a DS1, in California anyways, I might disagree with
> you. DS1 is steep enough, DS3's are much too steep and sounds much too
> anti-competitive. Randy, you also know the rates the rest of the planet pays
> for E1's and E2's, if they can even get anything that fast. If you want a
> speed-bump then don't build a speed-farging-mountain.

	Roeland, what are you talking about?

	DS1 costs are by far the lowest they have been in years,
-particularly- in California.  Try living in Michigan or Illinois
sometime.

	Randy's point is that basement resellers of dedicated services
in particular are typically reselling to enough people that they have
larger address-space needs than a /24 and can qualify for and get their
own space.

	The legitimate use of a microallocation is a small, but highly
trafficed service that badly needs to be multihomed -- remember we
started this thread with a conversation about eBay and CNN.

	This is not a small provider catch all.

	--msa