RE: Policy Routing

  • From: Przemyslaw Karwasiecki
  • Date: Sun Aug 26 01:49:43 2001

Jon,

Unless I am misunderstand how BGP (and routing at all)
works something very seriously wrong with your suggestion.

Your border router will advertise to a customer only best
and active routes. You cannot advertise to BGP peer two routes
to the same destination. So modifying AS_PATH will not work,
because you will send to Customer X only best selected route
from your border router.

The only way to advertise suboptimal route would be to have
it selected as 'best' on your border router.

Of course, technically, you can advertise one thing
(AS_PATH via NSP A) , and forward it to a different
destination (NSP el'cheapo), but this is another story.

Please correct me if I am wrong -- it is 1:40 am
and I had a long day...

Thanks,

Przemek