Re: multi-homing fixes

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Sat Aug 25 17:28:23 2001

>On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 03:11:39PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
>> please look at slides 11 and 15 of
>>
>>     <http://psg.com/~randy/010809.ptomaine.pdf>
>>
>> the /24s of small multihomers is half the routing table (see geoff's data)

>> and is growing radially (if you are silly enough not to filter that stuff).

>Does anyone have a graph of the number of allocated AS numbers? I
>ask because in a perfect world each AS would originate 1 prefix
>only, as they got enough address space in their first alloaction
>to service them forever.  In that case growth of the AS table would
>be the growth of the routing table.

There are a number of such plots - we have one at
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/asn.plot.gif -
see http://www.multicasttech.com/status/ for explanation -
and there are ones at Telstra -see
http://www.telstra.net/gih/papers/ipj/4-1-bgp.pdf and
http://www.telstra.net/ops/bgp/pc3/bgp-as-count.html

By all indications, the growth in both active AS and BGP
prefixes has slowed since the market collapse.

There are currently ~ 11,000 active AS and ~ 104,000 prefixes, so
each ASN has on average about 9 and 1/2 prefix blocks.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

>The real world would never work like that of course, but it is an
>absolute lower bound on the table size, I think.  I do believe we
>can get much closer to this world with address space sizes like
>those available in IPv6, however it's not clear to me that people
>are really trying to think that way.
>
>--
>Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
>Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440
>Read TMBG List - [email protected], www.tmbg.org

Marshall Eubanks

[email protected]