RE: multi-homing fixes

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Sat Aug 25 03:56:29 2001

and randy's point is that the easiest way to do that, without lying through
your teeth, is to *not* use NAT, thereby increasing your visible foot-print
by the size of your NAT'd space.

|> If you were in a position where you did NOT have your own
|> previously allocated
|> swamp/b/a space, you wanted to multihome to a few different providers
|> in such a way that you were globally reachable no matter who
|> went offline
|> and you only needed a /24 or less, what would you do?

Avoid *any* technology that makes more efficient use of my address space.
Then I'd generate additional redundant services (legitimate and opertional,
just not used much) to fatten up the foot-print. About 25 Linux boxen,
implemented on BookPCs, ought to do the trick for a /19. Personally, I have
yet to be pushed to such a solution, but I've thought about it and I'm not
the only one. If the rules are set such that I have to do something like
that, or fold the company, I would do it in a heart-beat. There is a limit
to what I will sacrifice on the alter of "community spirit".