Re: multi-homing fixes

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Fri Aug 24 22:03:30 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:52:31PM -0400, Daniel Golding wrote:
> timeframe needed for deployment of software to support 4 byte AS numbers.

I have thought about a proposal, and I guess it's time to make it
public.  I know of several up-sides and down-sides to this already,
but I won't list them for now to stimulate discussion.

Rather than allocate AS numbers as we do today, why not make an AS
simply be a globally unique 32 bit number, and establish a convention
that AS numbers must come from a customer's netblock?  That is, if
I'm assigned 10.0.0.0/24, I could pick 10.0.0.1 as my "AS" number
(or 10.0.0.37 for that matter) and I just start announcing it.

The thought is many providers prefix filter routing announcements.
The same filter could be applied to AS numbers.  Networks would
never have to 'allocate' ASN's (sorry arin, no $500 for you), and
if they needed two they would just need 2 IP addresses.  The global
uniqueness is still guaranteed, and the owner can be tracked (via
IP allocation, of course).

Right now the up-sides and down-sides I know about cancel out in my
view, so I can't put this forth as a proposal I support at the moment,
but perhaps with some discussion I can be moved to the firmly a bad
idea or firmly a good idea camp.

--
Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440