Re: multi-homing fixes

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Fri Aug 24 19:36:22 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 04:26:52PM -0700, Steve Noble wrote:
> And what's small?  CNN with a /24?  eBay with a /24?  Traffic wise they are
> certainly not small, visability wise they are certainly not small, and I'm
> pretty sure no one here will claim that.  Yet both annouce /24's out of the
> Classful C space and get listened to (atleast by Verio who is a known filterer).

And don't forget, if they had asked for address space back in
1988-1990 they would be announcing a /16, and using a /24 of it.

The average routing announcement has gotten smaller as a result
of tighter allocation policies.  The use 80% rule and all that.

Of course all the growth is in small prefixes.  You can't get a
large prefix these days, and if you get a smaller one that should
be aggregatable to a larger prefix next time you ask the likelyhood
it will still be there when you ask for it is low.

--
Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440